Äggmjölk (Egg Milk) is such a natural thing if you happen to read this from Sweden. People throughout history glorified the milk so much that they tried to alchemy their way to make more of this source of nourishment. Especially in the north, where you can’t expect the animals to give so much milk during extremely cold winters. Now, we know that in the tropic zones coconut milk is one of the most typical replacement for animal milk. In the sub-mediterranean climate, almond and other nuts are often used to make milk and these things are quite popular on Keto diet. However, none of the nut-based milk substitutes can replace the nutritional protein profile of good old animal milk. Especially the divine goat milk!
The Scandinavian idea to make milk out of eggs
Now, I know that in the western world most of the people during winter Holidays enjoy a delicious cup of Eggnog. That’s a tradition that cannot be forgotten even in the land of Ketonia. Just substitute cow’s milk with heavy cream and you got yourself a great Keto Eggnog! Spices and the addition of alcohol is, of course, your personal choice and responsibility! However, in the land of the Vikings (well, one of them, but the whole Scandinavia has this tradition) they are making milk of eggs! And the nutritional profile is quite similar!
Imagine all the great vitamins and minerals of the most nutritious egg-yolks with some good butter and hot water! That would be all! Of course, spices are welcome, but if you don’t have any, the Äggmjölk will taste just as tasty as milk would!
No carbs in Äggmjölk (Egg Milk)!!!
Äggmjölk or egg-milk is an excellent substitute to drink instead of regular milk (especially cow’s milk) and basically contains no carbohydrates! Many people use it in their coffee or drink it as it is with different spices. It’s an amazingly delicious drink and is much better than you think when you first hear about it!
The exact origin of this tradition is not easy to find online, at least not in English. However, I am sure that it’s an ancient recipe that dates back to the times of mighty Vikings. On this occasion, I invite any Sweedish reader to give us a bit more historical data on Äggmjölk because its amazing nutritional profile makes it into a potion that could be served by the Norsk gods!
Egg milk – great easy digestible protein
If you want to make your Egg milk even healthier, you can just use mighty quail eggs. Now, these small gems of nature act as anti-inflammatory food and provide you with the most digestible protein profile. Of course, if you decide to use hen eggs, then you’ll be best with free-range and organic! The ratio of yolks and egg-whites should be 2:1 to make it more Keto friendly!
How come Ancient Greeks did not come up with this great idea?
My explanation is that in the warmth of our Mediterranean climate, ancients were never lacking goat and sheep milk! Of course, the ancient Greeks were consuming eggs, and they loved quail eggs! They prepared one so many dishes, soups, stews, cakes with the mighty eggs!
Ideal for lactose intolerant people
Äggmjölk is perfect for dairy-free or lactose intolerant people. Interestingly, it’s safe to consume it for a couple of days if you keep it in the refrigerator. It must be shaken before usage. If you want to heat it again, it must be done very carefully with mild heat while stirring. The egg-milk can be varied in different ways, for example:
- Add it to your Coffee
- Make Cocoa drink with it
- Add Vanilla powder or extract
- Add gingerbread spice
- Mix in some Cinnamon
- Why not add Cardamom
- Use it with your tea
Let’s prepare Äggmjölk, it takes just 2 minutes!
Äggmjölk (Egg Milk)
- 1 whole egg free-range
- 2 large yolks free-range (alternatively use 6 quail eggs)
- 1 tbsp butter grass-fed (for a non-dairy version use coconut oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
Spices - Alternatively
- 1/2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 micro-scoop stevia extract
- Place the egg and yolks in a deep cup. Add melted butter and mix it with a cappuccino mixer. (If you don't have such a mixer, do it with a hand mixer in a bowl.
- When the eggs and butter form a nice foamy emulsion, start pouring hot water very slowly. The Egg-milk will foam just like a Cappuccino would.
- You can now add spices of your choice and drink it hot if you would like to use it cold, place it in a glass jar, seal well and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Quail egg Äggmjölk is slightly less caloric but has much lower carb content! This is making it ideal for Zero Carb diet!
- Hen egg Äggmjölk has skyrocketing Vitamin D, so if you are efficient, this is an ideal natural way to replenish it.
- Protein content is slightly different but Quail egg protein is easier to digest