Collagen Keto Jellies
Of all the proteins in our body, collagen is most prominent. It is found in muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, digestive system and tendons. This keratin protein keeps the skin firm and elastic while replacing the dead skin cells. Considering that it builds connective tissue, we can say, it holds the body together!
Lack of collagen accelerates ageing
Collagen production in our body with age begins to weaken. Because of the lack of collagen, signs of ageing appear on our bodies: wrinkles, sore skin and joint pain. This beneficial protein production is also reduced by other factors.
Among them, a diet rich in sugars, smoking and other unhealthy habits can deplete your body of collagen too soon. Various diseases have been found to be most commonly due to a combination of genetic damage, poor nutrition and digestive problems that affect the production of collagen.
Some of the benefits
- The health of skin, its strength and flexibility
- Strong nails, hair and teeth
- Especially good for joints and bones
- Helps peripheral bowel syndrome
- Liver health
- The cardiovascular system
- General metabolism
Can we substitute collagen naturally?
Some people believe that collagen creams can really help. Unfortunately, they actually don’t have significant results. Collagen molecules in the cream are too large to penetrate into the skin. On the other hand, there are a few extremely effective natural ways to increase collagen in your body. One of them is – guess what – nutrition! When it comes to foods that are sources of collagen, most of them are foods rich in proteins, including beef, chicken, fish, seafood and eggs. For example, I would recommend this soup for daily collagen intake.
About the types of collagen in meat
There are small differences between these sources. Cow or beef collagen comes from skin, bones and muscles, and it mostly consists of type 1 and type 3 (there are several types of collagen, type 1 is the most numerous in our body). They have a positive effect on keratin production and muscle building.
Chicken collagen is mostly a type 2 collagen. It is useful for the construction of cartilage tissue, which makes it particularly good for joint health. Collagen found in fish mostly type 1. Due to the fact that it is found throughout the body, fish collagen is one of the best supplements to your diet.
Let’s talk about beef gelatine
Beef gelatin maintains the health of the bones, joints and skin! Of course, you should always opt for grass-fed and organic beef gelatine! The beneficial gelatin is derived from animal bones and skin, and the best quality gelatin is made from grass-fed animals. Today, gelatine from a natural source can be purchased at many health food stores and food supplements, and it is advisable to avoid buying overprocessed gelatin with additives, artificial aromas and colouring.
Repetitio mater studiorum est – Beef gelatin benefits:
- Improves the elasticity of the skin
- Slows down the ageing of the skin
- Supports the health of bones and joints
- Balances the ratio of amino acids in the body
- Improves digestion and stomach health
- Reduces pain in the joints and bones
- Improves the appearance and quality of hair, nails and skin
- Helps maintain strong bones
Greek goes Keto jelly candies – the gems of flavour
I created this recipe specifically for those people who are missing all kinds of candies and unhealthy jelly-beans, gummy bears etc… Anything that the food industry offers, can be prepared in a healthier way at home. Moreover, you can have some great benefit from this tasty bites, not only for the collagen but also other great macro and micro-nutrients. I’ve also infused the candies with rosehip tea which is an excellent source of vitamin C (even when boiled) and could be the only fruit tea with a low glycemic index that will leave your ketosis untouched.
Keto Jelly Candies
- 1 litre natural mineral water
- 4 tbsp rose hip dried
- 4 tbsp beef gelatine grass-fed
- 100 g sour cream
- 3 tbsp stevia
- 2 small lemons juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest finely grated
- 2 tbsp orange zest finely grated
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
Optionally, juice of 12 squeezed raspberries for colouring
- If your dried rose hip is not crushed, pulse it for 3-4 seconds in a food processor
- Place the rose hip, orange and lemon zest and stevia in a deep pot
- Add the mineral water and boil it. Once the water boils, remove it from heat and leave it covered for 15 minutes
- Strain the liquid and add in the gelatine. Mix well
- Heat it again just to the boiling point. Set aside
- Mix the sour cream with lemon juice and turmeric
- When the gelatine is halfway cooled, add in the cream and mix energetically until it gets smooth
- Pour in the mixture into the moulds of your choice
- Place them in the freezer for 40 minutes
- Keep them in a glass jar or food container in the refrigerator
- Enjoy them after your well-balanced Keto meals
Making them attractive
Depending on your moulds, they can turn out looking better than the industrial candies! Naturally, you can use real gummy-bear moulds or even some of the unusual ones that can be purchased online. If you would like to make your gummy candies colourful, you can use natural aromas, natural food colouring or freshly squeezed berry juice. You can enjoy these delicious bites of collagen after your regular meal. Have in mind, your appetite serves as your measure. You can eat as much as you want immediately after the meal, but if you ate a good lunch, 4 of them will be enough. I wouldn’t suggest eating them in between the meals because they can and will break your fast! They are also an excellent treat for children because they don’t contain any artificial ingredient and will give you the boost in vitamin C and minerals.
Enjoy your personal Keto gummies without any guilt!