Keto crepe rolls that also look like keto sushi look so attractive, don’t they? Ant the wrapping layer is made of only eggs and butter. Is this possible? Well, of course, it is if you have some skills and experience with cooking thin omelette-alike crepes. However, we would like to show you that it’s totally easy if you want to prepare a nice appetiser or even a main course for friends and family.
Keto crepe rolls that look and feel like Sushi
Well, many Ketonians love sushi and they already ketonised it with various different ingredients. However, we wanted this version to be extremely low in carbs, but at the same time full of flavour, texture and visual appeal.
Keto sushi inspiration from Greek Goes Keto family
A couple of days ago I got inspired by Greek Goes Keto family members Richard and Paola who spoke about ketonising Sushi. Richard had a great idea about using goat cream cheese and this resonated with our KMD postulates.
However, I know that goat cream cheese is not available to everyone around the globe. 🙁 So, I decided to make it even “greeker” and easier to find! I will make a homemade cream cheese out of Feta! Opa! Yes, it turned out perfectly smooth!!!
The beauty of Japanese patience in food preparation
Japanese cuisine requires patience and pays a lot of attention to visual appearance. The harmony and colours are always artistic and it always provides a special experience. However, ketonising Japanese food is quite difficult because soy, starches and rice are present almost everywhere.
Luckily, Japanese cuisine features so much seafood that it simply resonates with our Mediterranean spirit. Apollonas, in particular, is a big fan of Japanese culture which you can see in this t-shirt he designed:
Keto crepe rolls FAQ
How do I flip crepes without any flour?
If you mix the eggs and butter on high speed (in a blender or by utilising an electric mixer) your crepe batter will look like a creamy emulsion. This will allow you to cook perfect crepes. Make sure your pan is non-stick or use a bit of coconut oil. Pour the batter in when the pan is semi-heated and cover with a lid. This will cook crepes from both sides. You actually want the inner layer softer so they will be perfect without rolling them.
What will the texture be like once the egg-crepes cool down?
They will be perfect, trust me. You want the chewy effect and you want to prepare your sushi after the crepes are completely cooled down.
How do I fix the eggy flavour?
This is very easy when it comes to egg-crepes. You can use a little bit of Apple cider vinegar, nutmeg, black pepper or any other spice and your egg crepes will not have even a hint of eggy flavour!
Keto crepe rolls À la SushiCourse: Appetizers, Breakfast food, Main Dishes, Mediterranean, Sea FoodCuisine: Keto InternationalDifficulty: Medium
4 large eggs (pasture raised)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
30g (1 oz) melted butter (we used goat butter)
1/3 tsp sea salt
1/3 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
50g (1,8 oz) Feta cheese
1/3 tsp Freshly ground black or white pepper
1 tbsp dry dill (or use fresh)
30 ml (1 fl oz) water
120g (4,2 Oz) smoked salmon (we used wild caught salmon)
10 leaves rocket
- Place the eggs in a blender and add nutmeg, sea salt, apple cider vinegar and melted butter. Blend for 2-4 minutes to get a smooth emulsion.
- Cook 5 crepes out of these batter on a non-stick pan. See the instruction in the FAQ section above. Let the crepes cool down.
- Place feta cheese with olive oil and water in a blender or food processor. Add dill and freshly ground white pepper. You can also use black pepper.
- Blend the feta, olive oil and water into a cream cheese.
- Spread your homemade Feta cream on each crepe. Then cover with a thin piece of smoked salmon. Add 1-2 leaves of the rocket. Roll the crepes and place them on a cutting board. Cover with transparent foil and leave in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Before serving, using a sharp knife, cut each crepe into 5 pieces. This is how you’ll get 20 rolls. You can serve them with a toothpick or a small wooden fork. Decorate with fresh dill or rocket leaves.