Simple Keto meat pie recipes are always close to zero carbs due to carnivore ingredients. Even if you use some yoghurt, cheese or herbs the dish will have minimum carb content. However, should we only care about carbs? Of course not! We care about micronutrients, nourishment and taste. When I say taste I mean quality. If you are preparing a nourishing meal, treat yourselves and the ones you love as royalties. After all, that’s the best way to show love through cooking!
How much cheese is not too much?
This particular simple Keto meat pie calls for well-known ingredients. As you read this article, you will realise you already have most of them in your kitchen. Especially if you decided to follow the Keto Mediterranean diet. Most Mediterranean families always have some feta cheese, Greek yoghurt and herbs. On the Keto Mediterranean diet, we just follow this principle. Our traditional ingredients never fail! Additionally, we used goat cheese on top which made the pie aromatic. But if you don’t have goat cheese, you most probably keep some parmesan in your Mediterranean oriented kitchen. After all, we’ll not use a lot of cheese, just 2 tablespoons for topping. Therefore, you could just use any hard or cheese you have at that moment for topping.
Ground meat of your choice
Naturally, ground meat is the main ingredient of our easy keto meat pie. Now, if you want it to be truly nourishing and soft, you’ll go for ground lamb or veal. But if beef is the only meat you have, the recipe will work equally good! Maybe you’ll just need a bit more time to cook the meat. If you want to be festive then go for venison! Wild game pies are always special! As long as you stay within the ruminant animal world, your choice of minced meat will be perfect.
Simple Keto meat pie calls for simple herbs
Have you already bought all the typical Mediterranean herbs? If not, even this is fixable. for the easy Keto meat pie, we went for some typical spices. Here’s an idea, if you have some herbal tea, you can use it as a spice. Herbs in teabags usually smell even more intense. For example, I always use hibiscus, rosehips, peppermint, sage and thyme from teabags. Naturally, fresh basil, parsley or rosemary would be ideal, but if you don’t have them, just play with the herbs you have. In the end, garlic, black pepper and red paprika powder will be the base. Everything else is up to you! Remember, creativity is in small details. Just one special ingredient can create a masterpiece of culinary art! 😉
Simple Keto meat pieCourse: Main courseCuisine: Keto MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
500g (17,6 oz) ground meat of your choice (we used veal)
6 medium eggs
50g (1,7 oz) feta cheese
200g (7 oz) Greek yoghurt (preferably goat or sheep’s yoghurt)
6 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
1 tbsp butter or tallow
1 tbsp red paprika powder
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch freshly chopped herbs of your choice (were used peppermint)
2 tbsp grated hard cheese (we used goat cheese)
- Melt the butter in a deep pan and brown the meat. Stir with a wooden spoon and add red paprika powder. You can add just a little bit of water and cover the pan with a lid. Reduce the temperature and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Place Greek yoghurt, feta cheese, garlic, all the spices and herbs and eggs in a blender. Blend it to get a nicely unified mixture.
- Set the pan with meat aside, uncover it. Stir and allow it to cool down a bit. Pour the blended mixture in and stir with a wooden spoon. The mixture needs to get a caramel-creamy colour.
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400ºF). Grease a 30 cm (11 inches) pie pan with some butter or tallow and pour the mixture in. Bake the pie for 25 minutes.
- Grate some hard cheese and use approximately 2 tablespoons. Take the pie out of the oven, sprinkle the grated cheese on top and return it to the oven. Bake for another 5-10 minutes till the cheese melts and creates a golden crust on top.
- Let the pie cool down halfway before serving. You can add some sour cream or strained yoghurt on top when serving.
- If you don’t have feta or greek yoghurt, you can use sour cream or cream cheese. However, you might need some salt added because Feta gives saltiness to this pie.
- If you don’t care that much about keeping the carbs low, add 2-3 tablespoons of tomato puree to the mixture in the blender. Everything will get even juicier and more colourful.