Marrowbone roast could be the healthiest gourmet treat together with oysters, caviar and lamb liver pate. However, we always think of marrowbone as the food of ancient villagers, not quite a high-class dish. But when it comes to health benefits and flavour, rarely anything can match marrowbone roast. When prepared properly, all sensations are augmented. From texture, flavour, aroma to the well-fed feeling afterwards. We all know about the benefits of bone broth, but marrowbone roast brings everything to another level of pure enjoyment.
Bones are cheap or even free in some countries
In my country, all butchers give the bones for free if you are a regular customer. In some other European countries, you will pay some pocket money for them, but you’ll be 100% satisfied with the purchase. Naturally, you want a grass-fed beef or buffalo femur bone for this creation. You need a big bone so that you can enjoy more of the nutritional richness that marrow provides. In fact, the bigger the bone, the better the marrow! If you are lucky to get a grass-fed water buffalo bone, you might enjoy an even higher amount of minerals and flavour.
Advantages of eating bone marrow
Several studies explained that bone marrow, in particular the fat content of it, carries a hormone called adiponectin. This hormone helps in fat metabolism. If an individual consumes more adiponectin, they will have reduced chance of getting diabetes or cardiovascular illnesses. The same study discovered that overweight people are low in adiponectin but after losing body fat, the levels of this beneficial hormone go up. This is a great example of eating enough good fats for perfect hormonal balance. Furthermore, bone marrow is packed with collagen which promotes general health, skin condition, bone density, hair quality… It is also abundant in glucosamine which is crucial for healthful joints.
Decreases Danger of Inflammation-related Illnesses
Bone marrow could be the best source of Glycine and conjugated linoleic acid. Nothing works better for reducing inflammation! Chronic inflammation is connected to many serious conditions. To mention cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, arthritis, depression, and even Alzheimer’s.
How to prepare bones for perfect marrowbone roast
First, you have to ask your butcher for the big beef or buffalo femur bones. The bigger bone will naturally have more marrow. Then ask him to cut it long side as in the photo. You can also make portions with standard bone cuts, but the long side cut will look better when serving.
A day before you plan to serve the marrowbone roast, place them in a deep pot with a lot of sea salt and ice-cold water. Now place this in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. The rest is described in the recipe bellow.
Don’t forget, a true KMD oriented person never has problems with patience!
Marrowbone roast – Keto Mediterranean versionCourse: AppetiserCuisine: Keto MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
4 large beef or buffalo femur bones halved lengthwise by butcher
8 cloves garlic
40g (1,4 oz) butter
1 red horn pepper
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2/3 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp whole pink peppercorn
1 tsp dried thyme
freshly ground black pepper to taste
freshly grated lemon zest (to your liking)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- After the bones have been soaked in salty water overnight, place them on a wide baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven at 180ºC (350ºF) for 20 minutes. Ideally, use your oven’s grilling or roasting option.
- In a deep saucepan, sauté finely chopped garlic in butter. Season with the flower of sea salt and add finely chopped red horn pepper. Stir for a few minutes and then add vinegar. Now, add all the spices except black pepper and lemon zest.
- Pour the sauce over the roasted bones and season with freshly ground black pepper and lemon zest and extra virgin olive oil.
- It’s important to serve hot because bone marrow will harden when it gets cold.
- Marrowbone roast is traditionally eaten spread on toasted bread. For a Keto version, we recommend using slices of aged sheep or goat cheese as the base. You can also serve it with keto bread or just enjoy it with a teaspoon.