Keto side dishes are usually wrongly prepared in the universe of low-carbers. Instead of searching for the best micronutrients, Ketonians usually fall into a trap of macronutrient ratio. Some foodies invest way too much time in preparation of different side dishes. Let’s be honest, the theory about large portions of vegetables on the Keto diet is long behind us. Now we know, a side dish is a side dish, not the main course!
Keto side dish as a treat?
Yes, this particular recipe looks and feels like a treat but should not be eaten on its own. It’s nourishing and comforting, but it still lacks meat, fish or seafood. As we know, proper Keto Mediterranean Diet is based around these three food groups and the rest are just details. If you are struggling to compose a Keto Mediterranean meal, maybe you should simply make sure you eat enough of meat, fish and seafood.
The beauty of quick and simple recipes
On Greek Goes Keto, everything counts in large amounts. But when it comes to ingredients, sometimes we get spoiled by the abundance of healthy options in our Mediterranean zone. However, this simple Keto side dish has only 3 basic ingredients! And all three of them are easily obtainable anywhere around the globe. Now, why did we go for cauliflower? Simply, we loved our Keto Skordalia recipe and thought it could be even better if it was baked as a savoury cake. To our surprise, it did not break or fall apart when served. Looks like our quest to exclude powders, flours and other processed ingredients works perfectly if enough of eggs is added!
To prepare this beautiful and easy Keto side dish, all you need is some fresh or frozen cauliflower (or zucchini, or broccoli or even kale) 3-4 pasture-raised eggs and some top quality Greek Graviera. Also, an authentic Mediterranean dish is always loaded with the aromas of herbs growing in our sunny area! Well, if you don’t know what Graviera is, any semi-hard goat or sheep cheese will work! But in case you would like to try this wonderful ketonisation with the authentic Greek cheese, check the links we found for you! Also, don’t forget to play with the spices!
Keto side dish with cauliflower
500g (17,6 oz) cauliflower
6 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
4 large pasture-raised eggs
4 tbsp grated graver cheese (or similar goat/sheep cheese)
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp Mahlepi powder (alternatively use a pinch of nutmeg)
1 tsp white pepper (you can also use freshly ground black pepper)
1 tsp dried thyme
- Cut the cauliflower into small pieces and boil it together with garlic cloves for 10 minutes in a lot of water where you added 1 tsp of sea salt.
- Strain it and mash it or process it in the food processor. Add all the spices.
- Add 4 eggs and 2 tablespoons of grated cheese. Whisk well to unify.
- Pour this mixture in a non-stick baking pan or use parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 180ºC (350ºF)
- Cut into bars and serve as a side dish to meat of fish.
- You can play with the spices and herbs. A nice combination includes ground cloves, juniper berries, dried peppermint and ground bay leaves.
- You can keep the bars sealed in the refrigerator and serve it with cold cuts or smoked fish on the next day. they can also be reheated in the oven or in the air fryer which will give them a crunchy texture.