Beef “Carnoff” as a dish does not yet exist on the internet! Trust me, I googled, and I did not find it. Well, I am going to change the things and add Beef Carnoff name to the search engines! Presenting the best and easiest way you can impress any Ketonian or Carnivore coming to your home for dinner! Yes, it’s inspired by Beef Stroganoff, which could be the most famous Russian dish of all times. However, I did not use mushrooms or cream to make my Carnivore visitors happy. At the same time, Ketonians could enjoy it with some vegetables or a large bowl of salad aside.
Making the beef soft
Nothing is tastier than beef cut into smallest possible pieces. Not minced, but really cut finely. Especially if you choose a fatty part of beef, you will end up with a tasty and soft texture. Not to mention, cooking time is shorter for finely chopped meat. Of course, you have to have some skills with a sharp knife. But you don’t have to worry if you are not quite accustomed to cutting meat… Any butcher will be happy to cut it for you! I recommend buying from a small butcher store, the meat will most probably be fresher than the ones sold in the supermarkets. And the guy in the white coat will be friendlier and giving good tips on kinds and parts of meat to buy.
How Stroganoff served as an idea for Beef Carnoff
Well, Stroganoff is a wonderful and Keto friendly dish if served without pasta or rice. In most of the cases, chefs don’t use flour or starch to thicken it. It’s basically beef or veal sautéd in lard or butter and then cooked in cream with mushrooms. In our Carnoff version, we excluded the mushrooms and cream and used just goat butter for the specific finishing touch.
Mistakes Ketonians do when going Carnivore
I have to cover this subject because I hear many people don’t know how to choose a good, fatty part of meat on carnivore. In most of the cases, they end up not enough fat. It’s really crucial to use fatty parts of meat. Meat and it’s natural occurring fats are the most compatible macronutrients and easiest to digest when they come from the same source. Of course, not always we can find a perfect combination of fat and meat so we have to add some additional fats n the process of cooking. In this case, always go for animal fat. If you are feeling like olive oil, not a problem, add it at the end of cooking as a spice. Of course, if you will fry your meat, your best ally is coconut oil due to high-temperature resistance. However, ghee or lard will do just fine at high temperatures.
Do carnivores use spices?
The vast majority of carnivores use spices. I see no reason not to use spices on a carnivore diet. Spices such as garlic, parsley, peppermint or oregano boost the flavour but also help digestion. You should really not worry if you add half an onion in the process of cooking. It will not add some serious carbs but it will lift the flavour of the meat to another dimension. Another great spice when it comes to meat preparation is the mighty Ceylon cinnamon. Give it a try, add it to any meat dish and thank me later. We the Greeks always add cinnamon to our meat dishes! All the benefits of cinnamon can be found in this article.
- 700 g beef neck finely chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 8 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp lard or beef tallow
- 2 tbsp goat butter you can use grass-fed cow's butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp red paprika powder feeling brave? Use hot red paprika
- 1 tsp red, black and white pepper mixture freshly ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sparkling mineral water
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Finely chop garlic and onion and saute them in a deep skillet in lard or tallow.
- Add finely chopped meat. The temperature should be hight so that the meat creates the crust. As soon as all the meat is brown, reduce the heat. Stir well. Add salt and all other spices.
- Start adding bit by bit sparkling mineral water and let it simmer. If the meat was finely chopped, the Carnoff is ready in about 20 minutes. Now add goat butter and stir until it all melts. Cook 5 more minutes.
- Before serving, you can sprinkle the dish with a lot of freshly chopped parsley, oregano and turmeric powder. Any kind of grated aged cheese would also be an excellent topping.