Keto spaghetti with meatballs and creamy red sauce? How about this gourmet magic? And not only that, you will not even need that much tomato puree to create the most delicious red sauce you ever tasted! Well, this beloved dish known as the adored dish of children worldwide is now safe even for kids who have to strictly watch their carbohydrate intake. I am talking about kids whose parents decided to aid their neurological problems with the ketogenic diet, such as epilepsy! In fact, I worked on this recipe specifically for the parents of a child who is struggling with epilepsy. And what a great success it was! Naturally, the whole family will love it and enjoy it together with anyone who is following the Ketogenic or even better Keto Mediterranean diet!
Keto spaghetti and keto tagliatelle
Maybe you remember our eureka moment when we came up with the Keto tagliatelle recipe. Made with only egg whites, 1 or 2 yolks and some beautiful spices… Well, all you needed to do was cut the stripes thinner and you got Keto spaghetti that will change the way you enjoy Keto meat sauces. In this version, we added the typical Italian spices to the Keto spaghetti mixture and they were lifted to a higher level of Mediterranean cooking. We must admit, Mediterranean herbs always bring joy and special aromatic pleasure to any type of homemade comfort dish. So, here, we’ll use them both in the meatballs and in the Keto spaghetti recipe!
How come this red sauce has so few carbs?
Things are super simple in this magical sauce! Instead of adding tons of tomato, we are basing the sauce on yolks! Yes, yolks will be carrying the creaminess, while the colour will be achieved with just 2 tablespoons of concentrated organic tomato puree and some red paprika powder. Oh-la-la, then we must not forget the ultimate creamy super-hero of all sauces, its majesty – butter! Don’t forget the fresh herbs right before serving, followed by some aged goat cheese: Well, if you can’t find goat cheese, you can simply use some parmesan. Luckily, those kinds of cheeses will always be very low in carbs and very rich in aroma and flavour.
Was this enough info for the intro to the recipe? 😉 We know, you just want to learn how to make this fantasy and surprise your friends or family! Well, let’s get to work and let’s also be very creative in the kitchen! Things like Keto spaghetti will make you fall in love with cooking all over again. If you are a Ketonian, this will give you one million ideas for different sauces and deliciousness!
Keto spaghetti with meatballsCourse: Main courseCuisine: Keto MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
- Keto Spaghetti
6 egg whites
1 tsp Italian spice mix (oregano, rosemary, garlic powder, basil, onion powder, dried celery)
1/2 tsp sea salt
- Meatballs in red sauce
500g (1 lb) minced veal or lamb (you can use beef, but you need to cook longer)
1 tbsp Italian spice mix (see the mixture above)
20g (0,7 oz or 1,5 tbsp) butter or tallow
1 whole egg
2/3 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp concentrated tomato puree (organic, without added sugar)
1 tbsp red paprika powder (Hungarian mild varieties give much more colour)
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp grated aged cheese (goat, sheep or similar graviera, parmesan…)
chopped fresh basil and parsley to your liking
- Start with the meat balls. mix the meat with an egg and Italian spice mixture, you can add some salt too or keep it all for the sauce. In a deep frying pan or a wok, preheat the butter or tallow and fry the meatballs at medium temperature. Keep rolling them so that they get brown from all sides. Remove the meatballs from the pan. Pour in 150 ml (5 fl oz) of water and let it boil in the same fat where meat was fried.
- In a blender, mix yolks, tomato puree, red paprika powder, garlic, sea salt. When the water in the pan boils, remove it from the heat and slowly start pouring this mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon or a whisk. Make sure you do it slowly to get the creamy consistency.
- Return the meatballs into the pan with the sauce. Cook for 2 more minutes at a very low temperature. Remove from heat.
- Finely chop fresh herbs.
- To prepare the Keto spaghetti, mix 6 egg whites, 1 yolk and Italian spice mix and sea salt. Cook this mixture as 4 crepes on a crepe maker or in a non-stick pan. If you are afraid that it’ll stick to the pan, grease it with a little bit of coconut oil. Let the crepes cool down and place them on a cutting board. Cut very thin stripes that will resemble spaghetti.
- Place your Keto spaghetti on a wide plate. Top with the sauce and meatballs. Sprinkle fresh herbs on top and finish with some grated aged cheese. Serve warm.
- These are 2 bigger portions for an adult (250g meat and 3 eggs for each). If you want to serve this to children, you can easily divide this amount into 4 portions.
- You can add some extra butter to the Keto spaghetti before adding the sauce…