Keto Strawberry lemon pie is another simple ketonisation based on an old recipe from the long gone carby days! Even if you are not very skillful in the Keto kitchen, this pie will be a success. I know it looks complicated, but trust me, each and every step of this wonderful ketonisation pays off – triple time!
How the Ketonisation looks in our home?
- -I get the spark to experiment in the kitchen
- –Apollonas grabs the phone to record for our YouTube channel
- -I realise I don’t have many of the typical ingredients at the moment
- -I improvise “to the full potential”
- -Fear and worry if it will work
- -It somehow always ends up good… 😀
So, let’s see how it went this time:
No typical keto flours?
Yes, I literally run out of typical Keto flours due to many Ketonisationsins during the weeks prior to Easter celebration. Also, I decided to reduce the nuts for a couple of months and experiment with my coffee grinder and seeds. Keto strawberry lemon pie had to be rich, but at the same time refreshing. So, whenever I needed a flour substitute, I would grind some sesame seeds, golden flaxseed even Chia seeds.
And then I got some organic strawberries from a friend that simply couldn’t stay fresh more than 2-3 days. I needed to use them and you know how they say:
When life gives you too many strawberries – make a pie, don’t let them go wasted! 😉
Of course, I borrowed this expression from Lemons, and they did not complain. In fact, they joined the party! And what a party it turned out to be. After trying a slice of this pie, I kept repeating:
Why didn’t I make Keto Strawberry Lemon pie before?
Well, as you already might know, we like to use things seasonally and locally produced. In this case, the lemon season is over, so we went for organic lemon juice from a bottle. What a shock! The producer did not add any additives and it passed the Greek Goes Keto KMD test. Furthermore, the whole pie contains only 2 tbsp ground flaxseed (which you can replace with any seed flour of your choice) and 2 tbsp of Psyllium husk.
Ahh, the texture in Keto Strawberry lemon pie
This Keto Strawberry lemon pie is soft and crunchy at the same time! I know, sounds like an oxymoron. It’s juicy, moist and fresh. Still, you can hold it in your hands and eat it without problems. Especially if you are patient enough to eat it the next day.
And when it’s cold, it’s gonna be the reward everyone needs on a hot afternoon. I would recommend eating it right after your main Keto meal. It’s so nutrient dense that you’ll easily end up being satisfied from a small piece. If you want, on a special occasion, you can eat this pie as your breakfast, you can! Look, you will be eating eggs, butter, some coconut flakes, strawberries and a dash of seed flour…
I see no reason not to treat yourself!
Keto Strawberry Lemon Pie
- 250 g (1 cup) butter grass-fed, softened
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp stevia or monk fruit blend sweetener
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tsp orange zest preferably powdered
- 8 medium egg yolks free-range
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp psyllium husk
- 2 tbsp flaxseed flour or any seed flour
- 11 tbsp sparkling mineral water
- 12 whole strawberries sliced, organic
- 1 tsp lemon zest powdered
- 1 tbsp stevia or monk fruit blend sweetener
- 8 medium egg whites
- 2 tbsp lemon juice organic
- 3 tbsp coconut flakes
- 4 tbsp stevia or monk fruit blend sweetener
- Have the eggs and butter at room temperature for several hours before starting. Separate the yolks from egg whites.
- Place butter, sweetener, salt, Ceylon cinnamon, orange zest and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer beat the butter until it gets creamy and fluffy. In another bowl mix the egg yolks with baking soda and slowly add this to the butter mixture. Keep mixing.
- Now start adding sparkling mineral water spoon by spoon until you get the texture and consistency in between dough and cake batter.
- Grease 20x30 cm (12x8 inch) pan (approximately) with some butter and pour in the batter. Bake it for 20 minutes at 170ºC (340ºF)
- Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl and add lemon juice. beat them until soft peak appears. Now add the sweetener and beat at highest speed.
- Slice the strawberries and add sweetener and lemon zest. When the base is baked, spread the strawberries all over. (I wanted to keep the carbs low, but you can add more strawberries)
- When the firm peak appears, your meringue topping is ready. Using a spatula, mix in 3 tbsp of coconut flakes and do it gently.
- Now spread the meringue on top of the strawberry layer and decorate it with a fork (see the video). Return the pie to the oven. bake for 45 minutes at 120ºC (250ºF)