Crumbly Keto Pie with Red Berries
Crumbly Keto Pie is a result of a simple baking experiment. You know those times when you want to make a cake without baking soda or powder! And you know that it’s possible, just you need to find the right ratio of dry and wet ingredients. Well, of course, it will not rise as much as it would if you used baking soda, but it will taste much better! Baking soda usually amplifies the eggy taste which is the main reason why so many Ketonians quit Keto baking.
Berries and quest to stay within Keto macros
Berries are one of the last “natural” sugar relatives left in the land of Ketonia. This is why we’ll use them in our crumbly Keto pie. However, we really need to learn to use them with extreme moderation. Just because their low glycemic index places them in the category of allowed Keto fruits, you can easily fall into a trap of overeating. When the ancient humans first encountered berries, they did not have glass jars! Their hands were their only containers! So, use this “handy” container again. That’s your perfect measure for a Keto friendly dessert!
The power of Ceylon cinnamon
We use it almost everywhere! This amazing spice is present in our meat sauces and in our Keto desserts. Medicinal properties of Ceylon cinnamon are numerous:
- alleviates inflammation and infection
- cleanses the blood and stimulates circulation
- eliminates bad breath
- helps with digestive issues
- Can ease menstrual pains
- enhances brain activity
- improves memory
- relieves the muscles and joints pain
- prevents heart disease
- heals gastritis
- enhances the fat burning
- relieves throat inflammation and flu symptoms
Not every cinnamon is healthy
Several types of cinnamon are available in the market today. In stores, because of low prices, Chinese cinnamon is usually widely offered. However, this variety contains large amounts of coumarin – a compound that can be harmful to the liver and kidneys. Unlike Chinese, Ceylon cinnamon is absolutely safe. Moreover, it is recommended for everyday use.
According to a study, Ceylon cinnamon helps lower blood sugar levels in both type 1 and type 2 diabetics. It has been confirmed that consuming up to 6 grams daily reduces blood glucose levels. Since its usage is not harmful, consider adding it to all your Keto baked goodies!
Let’s get to the Crumbly Keto Pie preparation
Crumbly Keto Pie
- 120 g (1 cup) crushed roasted walnuts organic
- 120 g (1 cup) almond flour blanched
- 2 tbsp psyllium husk organic
- 4 tbsp stevia blend sweetener or according to your sweetener power
- 4 large eggs free-range
- 120 g (1/2 cup) goat butter alternatively use ghee
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 70 g (1/3 cup) frozen berries of your choice
- 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 2 tbsp almond flakes
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven for 7 minutes at 150ºC (302ºF) Let them cool down a bit and then pulse them in a food processor. Try not to overdo it so that they don't turn into a ground consistency.
- Mix crushed walnuts with almond flour, psyllium, lemon zest and stevia.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks and beat the yolks with melted butter or ghee for 5 minutes. Start adding dry ingredients spoon by spoon.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with lemon juice into a firm meringue. Using a spatula, gently mix the meringue into the yolk mixture.
- Grease an 11-inch (30 cm) pie pan and pour int he mixture. Add frozen berries on top and tap them with your fingers so that they sink halfway into the batter. Sprinkle the pie with almond flakes.
- Bake in the oven at 150ºC (302ºF) for 20 minutes and let it cool down. Sprinkle with Ceylon cinnamon before serving and decorate with some red berries of your choice.