Keto sausage? When you hear this you think that any meat sausage can be Keto sausage, with or without nitrates. I am sure that you had enough different Keto sausage variations while experimenting with the meal preparation on the ketogenic diet, I even tried fish sausage which was extremely tasty! One of these days I will work on a recipe for seafood sausage! However, in the meantime, I want to talk about the need to shape food in forms of something completely different.
The urge for sarcasm
I am sure that the first sausage dessert was created by someone who wanted to trick the children or someone else in the family. There is always a certain individual who would eat all the cookies the moment they were made. But if it looked like a sausage, everybody knew that it needed to be smoked or dried first. So they would leave it alone. unless they had an extremely good nose for dessert and smelled the amazing spices which are usually used in these faux sausages. Maybe it was a pr0ject of an extremely humorous and sarcastic chef sometimes during the ancient Roman period.
When the food looks like something else
There could be many reasons why humans like to shape their food into something totally unexpected. Let’s take that Yule log cake as an example! Why in the world would you want to eat a yule log? My teeth hurt only from a thought of it! Then there are rocks, branches, rocky roads, buckles, etc… But when it comes to sausage, making it into a dessert seems much more natural. This no-bake dessert is extremely popular in Russia and Ukraine. However, the masters of chocolate sausages are my neighbours – the Italians!
Let’s make it Keto Greek
Since I am trying to transfer all the Greek traditional recipes to the land of Ketonia, I will get inspired by our traditional Mosaiko cake. Greeks always like to build things with marble. From the ancient times, marble was our main material when we wanted to make something monumental and grande! So, the dessert that resembles dark marble, or granite is called Mosaiko in Greece. Well, the mosaic is something that Romans brought to us, but the art of mosaic has been mastered to the very best during the Hellenistic period and even Byzantine empire.
Using Greek spices, shaping it Roman way
The Roman sausage dessert must have been a hit at the Bacchanalia! Not only because it’s extremely tasty, it just looks funny enough for the drunk Romans to make fun and compare it to some body parts! This happens when grownups act like children! And throughout the history, ancient Romans really acted like wild children! Nevertheless, my Keto sausage dessert will have two main purposes: It will be a well-balanced fat bomb, a good and energy providing fat bomb, but it will also be a delicious dessert to finish your good Keto meal. What’s most interesting, you don’t need any baking skills or experience.
Let’s get to the Keto sausage job!
Keto Sausage Dessert
- 200 ml (1 cup) mineral water
- 120 g (1/2 cup) butter grass-fed
- 1/3 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp stevia blend sweetener
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract organic
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp hazelnuts crushed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 12 whole raspberries crushed
- 1 tbsp lemon zest finely grated
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut flakes
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp powdered stevia or erythritol
- Place the water with butter, salt, stevia, cacao powder, cinnamon, clove and vanilla extract in a deep saucepan. Heat it to allow the butter to melt but don't let it boil. Remove from heat and let it cool down a bit.
- Add almond flour, chia seeds and crushed hazelnuts. Mix well and leave it at the room temperature for 5 minutes so that the chia seeds can expand.
- Using a fork, crush the raspberries and add them to the mixture. They will give a nice red hue and texture to the sausage.
- Add coconut flakes and lemon zest and mix well with your hand.
- On a parchment paper, roll the mixture to form a sausage. try to make it approximately 25-30 cm (9.8-11 inches) long.
- On another parchment paper sprinkle sesame seeds mixed with stevia or erythritol powder. sprinkle some water to the sausage and tap it in to make the surface moist. Transfer it to the parchment paper with sesame seeds and stevia and roll so that the seeds and powder stick to it.
- Leave it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.