Delicious and nutritious don’t necessarily come together. In fact, if something is labelled as super-food it usually is not that tasty. That is if you buy industrial, overprocessed and pre-packed meals. In the world we live in, everything is judged. Someone has the taste of food as the only parameter, while the majority of Ketonians know that nutrients should come first. But if your nutritious meal is not enjoyable, you will not eat it as often as you should! This is why Greek Goes Keto is all about making nutritious meals taste the best they can. And believe us, if they are prepared with the right ingredients, they will most certainly be as tasty as good food has to be!
The world we live in today
We are living in a world which has become a difficult place to survive. With all the knowledge, advanced science and technology, we the humans of the internet era, in general, have never had so many health issues as we have today. Social and geopolitical factors followed by mental and physical metamorphosis throughout the evolution process brought us to the present times where we are struggling to have a better and healthier life. One of the biggest problems of today’s humanity is the time and speed of living. This especially reflects our nutrition and overall health condition.
We are addicted to various unhealthy foods, we developed some of the strangest habits and we just want everything to be instant. This lifestyle resulted in various problems. People around the globe have to deal with it. Some of the biggest problems of humans today are malnutrition and obesity. This is closely related to eating large amounts of food overloaded with sugar, unhealthy processed ingredients, additives, and most of all, chemical substances that have a purpose to enhance the taste.
The obsession with flavour and taste
The society today has some sort of obsession with flavours. Flavours are all around us. They became the most important aspect of our nutrition and we almost reached the level where we don’t care how good the ingredients are, as long as the products taste good. And somewhere along the way we actually lost the information about good taste. Healthy food, by nature, has to have the most pleasurable taste. This is not the case for the majority of the population of our planet. We can never get enough of different flavours, aromas, and textures and the food industry is following this trend.
The food which is widely available is highly processed and almost never good for us. There is always a single ingredient that will make a product questionable when it comes to good nutritional values. Standards have changed and organic food simply is not attractive to us as much as processed food with boosted flavours and aromas.
Even though healthy living and eating became a new trend in the past decades, in general, the majority of people have developed a dislike for healthy food taste. At the same time, they developed a sort of addiction to unhealthy and sometimes dangerous foods. This is leading to various issues, including obesity and depression and it is even threatening procreation as well. Many studies have shown a great connection between fertility problems and malnutrition or a bad lifestyle. These are the facts which are present predominantly in western society and if we don’t act in time, we might just face much more serious consequences for mankind.
Our sense of taste has changed greatly
Our taste buds are becoming insensitive to anything which is not too salty or too sweet. Unhealthy habits, such as smoking and other addictions, as well as aggressive medical treatments, have resulted in severe taste sense loss. Many people around the globe are facing problems with food tasting. Not being in harmony with our senses makes life much more difficult and it can really harm the overall health.
How to make a delicious and nutritious Keto lunch?
There are one million ideas and recipes online. But are all of the 100% nutritious and healthy? Can they heal us? In many cases, they are just Keto, but not particularly healthy Keto. Now, macros are important if you want to enter ketosis, but they are not the only thing that matters.
If you really want to boost your health and help your body get in its best shape, then your meals have to be predominantly prepared at home. It’s also important to prepare them with top-quality kitchenware and with fresh, organic, anti-inflammatory ingredients! We wrote many articles on the subject of anti-inflammatory ingredients, but this specific recipe is created with the best health benefits in mind.
Now, I know that some of these ingredients are difficult to find in all parts of this Earth. However, once you start cooking with these ingredients, you will experience the best possible health, weight-loss and energy boost Keto has to offer. This is a simple recipe, yet it tastes and looks like it was served in a 5 stars restaurant. The only difference is that we don’t serve micro portions in Greece or in any of the Mediterranean countries. So, this idea is for all of you Keto foodies around the globe! Let’s get creative! If you can’t take the heat, don’t get out of the kitchen, just use air conditioning or wear something light 😉
Delicious & Nutritious Keto Lunch
- 500 g (17.7 oz) lamb cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coconut oil cold-pressed, organic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp red paprika powder mild
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed
- 2 whole bay leaves dried
- 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tbsp parsley leaves fresh or dried
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Creamy mushroom side dish
- 300 g (14.1 oz) sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp goat butter you can use ghee
- 100 g goat or sheep feta cheese crumbled or mashed in a food processor
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) hot water
- 8 whole quail eggs you can use 4 hen egg yolks
- 1/3 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp black, red and white pepper mixture freshly ground
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) warm water
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 long pickled red horn peppers
- Mix olive oil and coconut oil and add mashed garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes at medium temperature. Now add well-chopped lamb cubes. Stir and let it brown. Add salt, red paprika powder, garlic, cinnamon and turmeric.
- At this point, add 100 ml of water and bay leaves, Stir well. Cover the skillet with a lid. Let it cook for 15 minutes at a low temperature.
- While the meat is being cooked, prepare the creamy mushrooms. First, melt 2 tbsp of goat butter (or ghee) in a deep saucepan. Add crumbled feta and stir. Feta will melt and create a creamy sauce. Now add sliced mushrooms and mix well. Add half a cup of water and reduce the heat.
- whisk quail eggs or just the yolks of hen eggs with freshly ground pepper mixture and nutmeg. You can use a hand mixer for better results. Add 150 ml of hot water slowly while still mixing. This will create Åggmjolk (milk of eggs).
- Remove the mushrooms from heat and add the egg mixture. Stir well and return to very low heat. add 1 tbsp of sesame seeds. Let it thicken and remove from heat when you are satisfied with the creamy sauce texture.
- In the meantime, your meat will be ready so you can add freshly chopped parsley leaves and dried thyme. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve together on a plate and decorate with pickled red horn peppers. You can use any pickled vegetable of your choice, just make sure it doesn't contain added sugar.