A thought of keto pretzels came to me this morning. Another exciting trip is ahead of us. My wife and I are preparing for a long road trip to ancient Olympia and Sparta. Being the lovers of everything that ancient Greeks left us in legacy, we are anticipating the adventure and getting inspired by the very thought of it! We know that the trip might take us several hours driving through picturesque landscapes of Peloponnese. Also, as Ketonians, we know that the trip will not include stopping and taking snacks from local stores or gas stations.
During the summer, no matter how equipped your car is, the food must be dry and easy to consume! Furthermore, it has to be packed with the top nutrients to nourish you and provide you with minerals, electrolytes, good fats and a dash of protein! So what can we prepare for this adventure?
Keto pretzels – packed with powerful nutrients
Crackers or any kind of dry savoury cookies are the best solutions for the trip! This time we chose pretzels because they are compact and easy to pack. Of course, you can create your crackers in any shape or form that your creativity leads you to. With this quick recipe, I wanted to show how easy it is to prepare a good and nutritionally rich snack that can serve as a full meal when you are going on a road trip.
In honour of ancient Greeks, I created this recipe based on the Mediterranean ingredients. I guess, if you are travelling to the heart of the Mediterranean area, you better use the best ingredients that this land and sea can offer. Olive paste, olive oil, rosemary, oregano, the flower of sea salt, basil, goat butter, goat cheese, sesame seeds… All these ingredients can fill your kitchen, and later your car, with the smell and emotion of Mediterranean cuisine. Pure passion for life!
The herbs and spices I chose for this specific recipe will give the flavour and boost the nutritional value of these little travelling companions. All together with the best source of dietary fat, good amount of fibre and just enough of protein, you will be sure that your Keto pretzel cover all your needs while you are driving for several hours.
Travelling Keto Pretzel – Mediterranean twist
Serving: 24 pieces
Preparation time: 25 minutes
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 40g goat butter at room temperature (if you cannot find it, use Ghee or organic cow’s milk butter)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp green olive paste
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseed* (if the flaxseed meal doesn’t thicken the dough, use 1-2 tbsp of psyllium powder)
- 40 g crumbled goat feta cheese
- 1/2 tsp ground rosemary
- pinch of oregano
- pinch of dried basil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a deep mixing bowl place the eggs, butter and olive oil. Mix them using an electric mixer or a whisk
- Add crumbled goat feta and olive paste and mix until you get a homogenous mixture
- Combine all the dry ingredients with the spices and start adding to the previous mixture spoon by spoon
- Using your hands, mix the dough until you get a firm and elastic consistency (At this point see if you need to add more olive oil or additional almond flour. Based on the size of your eggs it might vary)
- Start forming the pretzels or any kind of cracker cookies (See photo). Damp them with some water and sprinke with sesame seeds.
- Bake them in the oven at 180ºC for 12 to 15 minutes
- Let them cool down and place them on a baking paper sheet. Now wrap them and place in a travelling container of your choice.
- Enjoy your trip full of energy and excitement!