Savoury Keto bites are rare on our website, but when we make them – they are top bombs! 😉 Well, of course, they have to be equally tasty as sweet creation. In many cases, they are even tastier and refreshing. This particular recipe was created as a result of saving the egg-whites. When working with clients, Apollonas often has to deal with sugar and snacking addiction that clients bring from their pre-Keto lifestyle. Instead of recommending using sweetener, he just tries including savoury and salty bites. These savoury bites, in particular, can serve for this purpose.
What to do with the remaining yolks?
With the nutritious yolks, you can’t go wrong. You can use them to thicken soup, sauce or mayonnaise… There are numerous ways to benefit from yolks, here’s a great recipe! You can also make a wonderful filling with yolks for these bites if you want to experiment! Spices and butter are all you need to add!
Enough of sweets and desserts, let’s make some savoury Keto bites!
So, this recipe was a creation that actually saved loads of egg whites and served as an ideal meal replacement on a day I had to travel and couldn’t prepare anything at home. Interestingly, the same crunchiness and fluffiness remained on the next day. So, if you make these a day before your trip, you’ll be enjoying them on-the-go!
The trick to perfect meringue
Before you start, have the egg whites at room temperature. Take them out of the refrigerator at least 2 hours before beating them. Then add a good source of acidity and a good amount of sea salt. Even if you are making them sweet, you’ll want your salt! Usually, the recipe calls for apple cider vinegar, but I wanted something stronger in acidity but with no smell so I added a bit of citric acid. The rest is described in the recipe.
If you are struggling to find the way of using excess egg whites, you’ll love this recipe! Don’t worry, I took care of the macros and I made them into perfect Keto bites that can serve both as a meal replacement, or addition to a well-assembled Keto meal at home. Have some smoked salmon, an avocado or a few olives with them and get energised and inspired!
Savoury Keto Meringue bites – for lovers of savoury flavour
Savoury Keto Meringue BitesCourse: Appetizers, Recipes
6 large egg whites room temperature, organic
1 tsp sea salt I used flower of sea salt
1/2 tsp citric acid alternatively use 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp coconut flour
220 g (1 cup) goat butter you can use grass-fed cow’s butter
4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
110 g (1/2 cup) cream cheese I used goat cream cheese
1 tsp white pepper freshly ground
a pinch of sea salt
- Beat the egg whites with salt and citric acid (or ACV) using an electric mixer at a high speed for at least 10 minutes or until you get a stiff peak. Add the coconut flour and reduce the mixer speed. Mix just a bit more to unify.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop a heaped teaspoon of the mixture. Using another spoon, place it on to the paper. This mixture will give you approximately 40 pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC and bake the meringue for 60 minutes. Let them cool down before assembling them.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter (room temperature), cheese, olive oil, salt and white pepper. You can use any spice of your choice, I wanted the filling to stay white in colour.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop the filling and press it gently between the two meringue cookies. Enjoy them as a meal on-the-go or finish your meal with this salty treat!