Savoury Keto bites are rare on our website, but when we make them – they are top bombs! 😉 Well, of course, they have to be fat-bombs so that you don’t fall into a trap of overeating. This particular recipe was created as a result of saving the egg-whites. Apollonas in his Keto journey started excluding eggwhites from almost all his meals. So I collected them and thought, what shall I do with this? It’s so funny – a few years ago, when he was into classical fitness diet, he would do the same things with the yolks and make his omelettes with only the egg whites. Forgive me for saying this, but – Yuck! What a disaster… Back then, I was the only one eating yolks (as I still do today) and I was happy. With the nutritious yolks, you can’t go wrong. You can use them in the soup, sauce or mayonnaise… There are numerous ways to benefit from yolks, here’s a great recipe!
Too much protein and how to fix it?
Now that he’s leaving me with the egg whites, I was thinking, how to make anything Keto with only the egg whites? Hmmm… They are just pure protein! Of course, I will have to add a lot of good fats, but also, I will have to make it tasty and appealing. I remembered the good old meringue and our wonderful galactic Keto cake called Šampita.
But, enough of sweets and desserts, let’s make some savoury Keto bites!
So, this recipe was a creation that actually saved loads of egg whites and served as an ideal meal replacement on a day I had to travel and couldn’t prepare anything at home. Interestingly, the same crunchiness and fluffiness stayed the next day. So, if you make these a day before your trip, you’ll be enjoying them on-the-go!
The trick to perfect meringue
Before you start, have the egg whites at room temperature. Take them out of the refrigerator at least 2 hours before beating them. Then add a good source of acidity and a good amount of sea salt. Even if you are making them sweet, you’ll want your salt! Usually, the recipe calls for apple cider vinegar, but I wanted something stronger and neutral in smell so I added a bit of citric acid. The rest is described in the recipe.
If you are struggling to find the way of using excess egg whites, you’ll love this recipe! Don’t worry, I took care of the macros and I made them into perfect Keto bites that can serve both as a meal replacement, or addition to a well assembled Keto meal at home. Have an avocado or a bowl of salad with them and get energised and inspired!
Savoury Keto Meringue bites – for all of you who are fed-up with sweet treats
Savoury Keto Meringue Bites
- 6 large egg whites room temperature, organic
- 1 tsp sea salt I used flower of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp citric acid alternatively use 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 tbsp blanched almond flour you can also use other nut or seed flour
- 220 g (1 cup) goat bitter you can use grass-fed cow's butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 110 g (1/2 cup) cream cheese I used goat cream cheese
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp white pepper freshly ground
- Beat the egg whites with salt and citric acid (or ACV) using an electric mixer at a high speed for at least 10 minutes or until you get a stiff peak. Add the almond flour and reduce the mixer speed. Mix just a bit more to unify.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop up a heaped teaspoon of the mixture. Using another spoon, place it on to the paper. This mixture will give you approximately 40 cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC and bake the meringue for 60 minutes. Let them cool down before assembling them.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter (room temperature), cheese, olive oil, salt and white pepper. You can use any spice of your choice, I wanted the filling to stay white in colour.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop the filling and press it gently between the two meringue cookies. Enjoy them as a meal on-the-go or finish your meal with this salty treat!