Romulan Keto yoghurt will be one of our tribute recipes for a quick refreshment, maybe even a meal on the go but with a Sci-Fi twist. Why Romulan – you might ask. Well, today is 53rd birthday of the neverending inspiration – Star Trek and I want to devote this recipe to all the Trekkies in the galaxy! After my Galactic centre cake, it’s time to create a quick and easy beverage recipe!
There’s Romulan Ale, but what is Romulan Keto yoghurt?
Romulan ale is a well know fictional (or quite real if you ask Trekkies) beverage that comes in wonderful blue colour and that’s forbidden in the United Federation of Planets. The legend says that Romulan Ale is extremely intoxicating beverage and comes from the planet Romulus. It has a characteristic blue colour (ranging from a pale sky blue to a dark midnight blue). But on the planet of Ketonia, we don’t like to get intoxicated a lot. 😉 We prefer to get energised and refreshed! This is why I combined the colour of the Romulan ale with the leitmotif of ours – Greek yoghurt.
Can you make blue food colouring with natural ingredients?
You will not believe this simple but natural trick. I am not trying to promote an exotic herb as I did with my butterfly pea tea. I am literally offering you a great idea to enjoy natural and healthy blue colour with the ingredients you most probably already have in the kitchen!!!
The magical dust called baking soda
You will think a work of magic is happening right in front of your eyes. This will especially be effective to make together with children! You will literally blend some blueberries and sprinkle them with baking soda. Then watch how the purple turns to blue! Amazingly, the baking soda alkalises the acidic blueberry particles and creates a chemical reaction which turns the colour into a spacey blue!
Star Trek inspiring people for 53 years now!
You don’t have to be a Trekkie to enjoy this cool and funky yoghurt based drink. It’s all about being creative, innovative and bring more colours into your life. At the same time, rest assured that each ingredient is natural and healthy! Well, we are the Ketonians, resistance to our charm is just futile, isn’t it 😉 This will be also a great idea for a mousse or a cake decoration! But, let’s work on that some other time. Now, let’s just boldly blend the ingredients as no one has done before…
Romulan Keto YoghurtCourse: Keto beverageCuisine: Keto SpaceDifficulty: Easy
150g (5,3 oz) sheep or goat yoghurt
1 tsp coconut oil
40g (1,4 oz) blueberries (preferably wild)
1/3 tsp baking soda
4 drops liquid monk fruit sweetener (or any sweetener of your choice)
50 ml (1.7 fl oz) sparkling mineral water
A few berries of your choice for decoration
- First blend the blueberries with sparkling mineral water. Your mixture will be dark purple.
- Now watch the magic happen as you add baking soda. The mixture will turn dark blue. Take one teaspoon of this dark blue mixture for decoration.
- Add coconut oil, sweetener and yoghurt and keep blending. The mixture will turn light blue.
- Pour the mixture in a tall glass. Use the small amount of dark blue mixture which you saved before to create a whirpool effect using a toothpick.
- Add a few frozen berries or serve with some ice cubes.
- You can prepare this beverage with coconut yoghurt or sour cream. I used sheep yoghurt (the nutrition label is based on that) and the texture turned out creamy and nice!