Keto picnic lunch is a beach lunch for us since we always keep exploring wild beaches in Greece. Places where there are no cafés, restaurants or grocery stores so you have to bring your food with you. Now, I am sure that many of you love spending time outdoors. Unlike those who don’t care for too many carbs, you wonder what picnic food to take with you. Naturally, there are those cool backpacks, portable refrigerators and other forms of keeping your food safe from spoiling. However, do you want to go light, and have something compact? At the same time, do you want it to be nourishing? This wonderful summer recipe will be your ultimate solution.
Not only will it give you nourishment, but it’ll also be the best thing to enjoy after swimming. The same goes for walking, hiking or riding a bike because you’ll be craving the electrolytes. All the minerals, vitamins and beneficial fatty acids will be packed in your Keto picnic lunch! When I took this Keto picnic lunch with me to the beach, I felt like I could swim for kilometres. Perhaps it was a placebo effect, but hey, you never know! 😉
Baked Keto picnic lunch – no need to refrigerate it
All the crackers and baked goods don’t need refrigerating. Your Keto picnic lunch will be exposed to high temperatures. and partially dehydrated, the chances of spoiling will be minimal. Especially if you prepare this delicious meal on the very morning of your outdoor activity.
Now, when it comes to activity, remember, fasted activity is the best thing you can do. This will help you to mobilise some of your stored fat. So, just grab your Keto picnic lunch and a bottle of water. That’s all! Explore the world around you in a fasted state. A cup of black coffee and a pinch of sea salt would help you perform any type of fasted activity. For example, I love swimming in a fasted state. It just feels so much better than when my belly is full. After swimming, (or any other activity) a well-prepared lunch on the go will feel like a true reward!
Smoked food is always the best choice for a picnic
Ever since humans invented smoking, keeping food safe for a longer period was easier. Not only that the food becomes delicious, but smoking also makes it safe to consume. Even if you are on the go and you don’t have a refrigerator. In this particular recipe for a Keto picnic lunch, you can use any type of protein source. I would recommend going for a smoked or dried kind. When you combine it with other ingredients, you will be able to reduce the saltiness. Let’s just see the recipe, you’ll understand what I mean instantly! 😉
Keto picnic lunchCourse: keto picnic lunchCuisine: Keto MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
200g smoked fish of your choice (or meat such as prosciutto)
20g (1 oz) grass fed beef gelatine
1 medium avocado (alternatively use zucchini, use approximately 150g of zucchini)
50g crumbled feta cheese
150 ml (3,5 fl oz) sparkling mineral water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground red pepper (or black)
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp fresh herbs of your choice (parsley or dill goes great)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 tbsp coconut flour (or 2 tbsp ground flaxseed)
- Soak the smoked fish or meat for an hour in a lot of cold water to remove excess salt. rain it and chop it into pieces and set aside. Place the avocado in a food processor.
- Mix gelatin with water and pour it into the food processor as well.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and process for a couple of minutes. then add chopped smoked fish or meat.
- Line a baking dish with some parchment paper and scoop the mixture to get approximately 8 pieces. Bake for 20 minutes at 200ºC (400ºF)
- Let them cool down completely and then pack them in a glass container. You are ready for your day out!
- You can play with your protein source. meat, fish or even smoked fish roe, whatever is available to you on that day. Make sure you always prepare your picnic lunch on the same day. This way it will not spoil even if you doN7t carry a refrigerator.