Flourless Keto cake is more Keto than any other coconut or almond flour dependant cake. Not even mighty psyllium is needed here! We simply adore flourless recipes! But, of course, they require a bit more patience with mixing and a powerful mixer. You don’t have to worry about excess carbs or fibre from the Keto friendly flours. In fact, in many cases, you are reducing the nut-allergy threat that can prevent some of your friends in trying your Keto creation. This flourless Keto cake is a winner in many categories. Let’s see quickly where would this cake grab a medal if there was a Keto cake competition:
- No flours of any kind
- Moist and soft as a dream
- Light and melting in the mouth
- Just the right ratio of sweet and bitter
- Aromatic and seductive
- Chocolate to the full potential
- Healthy and clean ingredients
- Longer fridge life
- Ideal for confusing anti-Keto friends 😉
- Can be twisted in one million ways
Aromatising Flourless Keto cake with alcoholic beverages?
Before we give a word or two about our flavouring, let’s talk about drinking on Keto. Here’s a short opinion from us:
Alcohol is a poison! Your liver sees it as a poison and including it in your lifestyle on a daily or weekly basis will annul the healing effect of your KMD. Are you on a healing Keto journey? Then you will not drink, except on very, very, very special occasions and just a small amount. Preferably choose dry red wine or a quality brandy. even if you are going dirty for one day, make it in style and choose the top quality! Mind the origin of the alcoholic drink. Better take something that was distilled from fruits than from potatoes! (Sorry Votka lovers 😀 ).
When it comes to cake and dessert preparation, a teaspoon or tablespoon of alcoholic beverages can bring a lot of aroma. Let’s remember, in the process of baking all the alcohol will evaporate. Also, let’s remember that even vanilla extract is actually aromatised alcohol in a certain percentage.
Just a bit Metaxa brandy
Metaxa is a very fine Greek spirit made by diluting an aged cask strength brandy with muscat wine from the island of Samos and many different herbs including anise and rose petals. Since we used just 2 teaspoons for the batter, we cannot call it a sin. Later, as you can see in the video, we added a bit more on top of the cake…Well, you can skip this part, but it does change the flavour and covers up the fear of eggy taste! In fact, if you will be using very fresh free-range eggs, the eggy taste will not even appear!
Let’s practice our patience in Keto baking!
Flourless Keto Choco-Metaxa cake
- 6 large eggs free-range, very fresh
- 2/3 tsp sea salt
- 40 g stevia-erythritol blend sweetener you can use monk fruit blend
- 100 g (3,5 oz) melted butter Bison butter would be ideal
- 500 g (18 oz) mascarpone
- 1 tbsp ground Arabica coffee preferably Colombian
- 30 g (1 oz) organic cacao powder please don’t use cocoa
- 1 tbsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 2 tsp Metaxa Or use your favourite amber spirit
- 2/3 tsp baking soda aluminium free
- 2 tbsp Metaxa or Vanilla extract optional
- 3 tbsp powdered stevia blend sweetener or Monk fruit
- Make sure your free-range eggs are very fresh. Beat them with sea salt and sweetener for at least 10 minutes at high speed. You need to get a thick emulsion.
- Start slowly adding melted butter as if you were making mayonnaise. Keep beating at high speed. Add baking soda.
- Now add Ceylon cinnamon, coffee and cacao powder. When it’s unified, stop the mixer and add the mascarpone. Start beating at a lower speed and then gradually increase the speed of your mixer until your batter is smooth.
- The batter for this cake will be liquid, but since you will bake it long at low temperature, there’s no reason to worry. Add the Metaxa in the end and prepare for baking.
- Preheat your oven at 150ºC. grease a removable bottom cake mould (25 cm or 10-inch) with some coconut oil and pour in the batter. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes without opening the oven. It would be good to have a lower altitude so that the cake doesn’t burn on the top.
- When the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool down totally. Then sprinkle with some more Metaxa or Vanilla extract and let the cake drink it.
- Using a tea strainer, sprinkle powdered stevia or monk fruit blend all over the top of the cake. Leave the cake in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Then sprinkle with some more powdered sweetener. This way you will get a thin layer of crunchy topping because the first layer will soak the Metaxa.
- Serve well chilled, ideally on the next day after a good Keto meal! You can keep it in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.