Keto Stir Fry – A Big Fat, Red Hot Lamb Deliciousness
Keto stir fry recipes around the world wide web usually include chicken or pork. As the promoters of Keto Mediterranean way of cooking, we had to give a healthier twist to this! In fact, from all the meat widely available in the market today, lamb could be the healthiest meat! As we know, in the Mediterranean countries lamb is the most popular meat. The same goes for New Zeland!
On the other side of the globe, in the USA, according to their Department of Agriculture, Americans eat around 0.7 pounds (some 300 grammes) of lamb yearly. Why so little???
I believe Ketonians should change this! Maybe you have noticed that here at greekgoesketo.com we prefer lamb and prepare almost everything with it. Here are some examples:
Health benefits and nutrients
The nutritional significance of lamb is really great! This is why we recommend using it more often in your KMD (Keto Mediterranean diet). It includes a range of advantageous nutrients such as protein, good and healthy fats, minerals, even vitamins.
On 100g of lamb, let’s say from the leg, you will get zero carbs, (wonderful) almost 14g of good (healthy) fats and impressive 28g of protein! Furthermore, you will get 190 mg Omega 3, 730 mg omega 6. (you can work on the balance here by adding some good sources of Omega 3 such as goat butter to your dish). If the lamb is grass-fed and this is the case in Greece, the content of Omega 3 will be higher!
And when it comes to vitamins, look at the amazing content of the famous B12 – Only with 100g of lamb, you’ll get 38% of your daily need for this valuable vitamin. You will also get Vitamin B3 (27%), vitamin B2 (11%) Vitamin B5 (6%), Vitamin K2 (5%), Vitamin B6 (5%), Folate (4%), Vitamin B (1 3%) and even Vitamin E (1%). Furthermore, Lamb is extremely rich in Zinc, Selenium, Phosphorus and Iron!
Playing with the hot spices in Keto stir fry
There are many oriental dishes which play around the spicy flavours and meat. In this Keto stir fry, we’ll add red hot horn pepper (you can use Chili pepper) and some aromatic herbs, spices and seeds. To make the sauce thick, we’ll blend the veggies into a paste and saute them together with the meat. And then, to boost up the flavour, but also mineral content, we’ll add some ground sesame seeds. Of course, you can skip this part if you are allergic to sesame. In general, this aromatic dish can be prepared with hot or sweet paprika powder. This way you will be able to adjust it to everyone’s sensitivity!
Are we brave enough for this stir fry?
Keto Stir Fry with Lamb
- 4 tbsp butter we prefer goat butter
- 2 small spring onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 700 g (24.6 oz) lamb cubed from the leg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tbsp red paprika powder We used sweet. If you want to use the hot variety, then 2/3 tsp
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 4 whole bay leaves
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground sesame seeds
- 2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 2 whole horn peppers you can use chili peppers
- Melt the butter in a deep wok type pan. Finely chop spring onion and garlic and sauté it in butter. now add lamb cubes and keep stirring with a wooden spoon.
- When the lamb cubes are brown from all sides, add salt, oregano, cinnamon, red paprika powder and bay leaves. Cover the wok with a lid and let it simmer at low temperature.
- Place water, tomato, peeled zucchini, and olive oil in a blender and blend them until smooth. Add this mixture to the meat and keep stirring. Cover it again with a lid and let it cook for 10 minutes. Occasionally stir. If the liquids evaporate, add more water.
- Using a food processor or coffee grinder, puls the sesame seeds for several seconds. Be careful not to create a paste. Sprinkle sesame seeds all over your lamb stir fry and keep stirring. Add 2 whole horn peppers on top and cover the wok. Turn off the stove and let it sit there for 15 minutes before serving.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper when served. You can also add freshly ground aged cheese of your choice.