Keto cake or keto dessert? I might be constantly repeating how important this can be! It really should play an important role in Keto diet! Don’t think of it as a reward, think of it as a part of your Keto life. It can replace one of your meals if prepared with the right ingredients. A small portion can be eaten at the end of your main meal. A few days ago, one of my social media followers asked me to explain why is it not good to cheat so often on Keto diet. As you can read in this article, I stated my opinion on the infamous cheating:
Why should you cheat? Who are you cheating? Yourself, perhaps?
Your body passes through a huge stress when you expose it to energy metabolic change. Especially if you are doing it often. Remeber, as you have reached your healing state of ketosis, there’s no reason to destroy it for a taste of frozen sugary cream.
Cheating comes with a price
This specific follower was cheating at least once per week. She was not able to resist eating cake on weekends. Well, let’s admit it, the cake is tempting and she was going for the sugary versions, not a keto cake. Even though I understand the cravings and the comfort we get from desserts, I strongly oppose this! If you switch your metabolic system from ketones to glucose too often, you are exposing your whole organism to a level of stress. This habit might cause difficulties to reach ketosis again. Furthermore, if you cheat, you might as well not do Keto at all. All the benefits of Ketosis make no sense if you don’t take this diet seriously.
Keto cake recipes are all over the internet
In this day and time, you just need to search for Keto cake online and you’ll find thousands of recipes. Not all of them are 100% keto friendly! Some authors like to include industrial additives, not so healthy bonding agents like Xanthan gum, Guar gum and Carrageenan which I cannot recommend in any case. There are 100% organic, natural and healthy ingredients and there is really no need to make your Keto cake similar to the industrial version. The beauty of baking a cake at home is in the process of creation and the anticipation. Once you master your cake preparation, you’ll be happy to make variations! Then you’ll include new ingredients and make your own versions of famous cakes.
Marble cake goes Keto
Marble cake might be one of the simplest yet most delicious cakes. It’s popular throughout Europe, especially in Austria, Croatia and Italy. However, Here in Greece we usually enrich the cake with orange and lemon zest. We add some spices that bring out the Mediterranean soul. Of course, we like our cake moist, so be prepared to have some good syrup on your Keto cake. Baking a Mediterranean cake means having fresh and organic ingredients and taking your time. Prepare all the ingredients, make it step by step and enjoy all the way!
So, I guess you would like to start? Let’s see the recipe!
Keto Marble Cake
- 6 large eggs free range
- 100 ml olive oil
- 150 ml goat yoghurt
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp psyllium powder
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tsp raw cacao organic
- 1 tbsp stevia
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground vanilla bean
- 300 ml water
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp stevia
- Beat the eggs at a high speed with stevia, goat yoghurt and olive oil.
- Add baking soda and lemon juice. Continue beating.
- Start adding almond flour, psyllium powder and coconut flour. Add in the ground vanilla bean, orange zest and stevia. Keep mixing until you get a smooth texture.
- Take 1/4 of your mixture out and place it in a small mixing bowl. Add cacao to it and mix well to get a nice chocolate colour.
- grease a 20 cm cake mould with some butter or coconut oil and pour in the light coloured cake batter. Now, using a spoon, add chocolate batter by creating fast circular movements over the cake so that you get a marble effect.
- Bake at 180ºC for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 150º C and bake for another 10 minutes,
- While your cake is baking, slice the lemon and place it in a deep pot.
- Add water and all the spices and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lemon slices from the syrup.
- When the cake is ready, pour hot syrup on the cake by using a spoon so that all parts get moist.
- Let the cake cool down and place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Serve cold.