Mutton burgers are the tastiest burgers any Ketonian or Carnivore person could try. Trust me, if you get nice fatty mutton from your butcher, you’ll be treated with gourmet experience!
Aromatic herbs flavour in mutton burgers
Mutton burgers don’t require all sorts of fancy spices. Good old sea salt and a pinch of black pepper are more than enough. But if the animal was fed properly, as they are in Greece, they will be eating a lot of aromatic herbs. This is something typical for any Mediterranean country, especially for the islands. The flavour and aroma of this meat will surprise you! It will be as if you used thyme, rosemary, bay, basil, and lavender.
With this dish, we are breaking a big Greek superstition!
Meat, fish and eggs all together on a plate?
Yes we can do that and stay alive! 😉
Health benefits of eating mutton and lamb
Both lamb and mutton are rich in top-quality protein and numerous vitamins and minerals. However, mutton is fattier and therefore even better for Ketonians. It is a bit tougher, so you need more time to prepare it. However, if you ask your butcher to mince the mutton 2 times, your burgers will be ready in no time!
When Devilled eggs go Greek and Keto
For this plate of perfection, we played around typical Greek ingredients. We got some organic free range eggs from the village and wanted to make a delicacy with them. What better than Greek goat Feta, some spices and our unmatchable Extra virgin olive oil from Peloponnese?!
Wild smoked salmon advantages
Wild salmon is usually caught in the natural ecosystem such as sea, river or lake. However, half of the salmon sold globally originates in fish farms. These farms use a method acknowledged as aquaculture to produce fish for our plates.
Farmed salmon is filled with concentrated fish feed, while wild salmon eat their natural food. For this purpose, the nutrient balance of wild and farmed salmon vary considerably. For example, you will get a fattier fish from a farm, but the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 will be not so balanced. When it comes to minerals, wild one is again a winner. To top it all, the taste is always richer if you opt for wild salmon.
You can find authentic Greek ingredients for this recipe in our webshop
Let’s just be master chefs
Mutton burgers with Greek Devilled eggs and smoked salmon – Keto empowerment plateCourse: Main courseCuisine: Keto MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
145g (5 oz) minced mutton
2 medium free ranged eggs
20 g (0,7 oz) goat Feta
70g (2,5 oz) smoked wild salmon
1 tsp sea salt (We used flower of sea salt)
1/2 tsp black pepper (freshly ground)
1/2 tsp roasted ground garlic (you can use garlic powder too)
2 branches fresh parsley
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cherry tomatoes (optional, not included in the nutrition facts)
- Season the mutton mince with salt and pepper. Mix well with your hands. This meat is fatty enough to be grilled without any added fat on a grilling pan. Shape 3 medium sized burgers and grill them for 4 minutes from each side.
- Boil the eggs, peel them and cut in halves. Take the yolks out and mix them with Feta, ground garlic and olive oil. You can do this with a fork in a small bowl. Now fill the egg white halves with this mixture.
- Place the burgers on a wide plate and add your Greek devilled eggs.
- Roll the salmon in shape of 3 roses and place it on the plate.
- Decorate with cherry tomato halves and fresh parsley branches.
- You can additionally sprinkle a few drops of EVO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and serve