Cheese is life! Many people around the globe would agree on this. For example, if you love Greek mythology, you will remember some of the stories about humans, gods and cheese. It’s even present in the famous Oddysy by Homer. In this story, Odisseus and his crew try to steal sheep cheese from a Cyclop who gets extremely upset. To punish them, he eats a few of Odysseus men. If you would like to learn what happens next, we recommend seeing a great movie from 1997! (See the movie trailer below).
What is cheese to a Ketonian person?
Throughout history, cheese was one of most nourishing foods on earth! Notice how I say it was? Well, the kind that is widely available to humans today is everything but not healthy! Cheese is a treat, a spice to life and wonderful helper in Keto baking. However, let’s remember – not every cheese is your friend! Especially not if you will use it in all your meals, and eat a pound (half a kilo) of it!
At the beginning, it’s a great comfort to know that you will be able to continue your love affair with cheese. Wonderful, but… There’s a BIG FAT BUT here! 😛 Ketonians tend to overeat cheese. They sometimes continue buying the unhealthy industrial versions that have more harmful ingredients than actual vitamins and minerals.
How to choose wisely?
Cheese labels are tricky and modern industry knows how to deceive you! You will often see a gluten-free label on cheese. What? Well, of course, it should be gluten-free, why even placing that label on cheese? Well, it’s because the industry sometimes adds starch to make cheese thick. Shocking, isn’t it? Furthermore, they love adding different stabilisers, gummifiers (I invented this word), thickeners and other chemical compounds. Good oldfashioned cheese production is as rare as Astatine. Well, it’s maybe a joke, but it could be as rare as Astatine if the modern industry continues destroying cheese production!
Astatine is an element that is so rare, there are just 30 grams TOTAL in Earth’s crust. Let’s hope natural cheese will not become as rare as this!!!
Cow’s milk cheese today is just not as good as it used to be
If you are a Greek Goes Keto visitor for a longer period of time, then you probably know we keep singing about goat dairy! The fact is, cow’s milk is overproduced, industrialised, hormone-aided and it’s full of lactose and A1 casein. This type of casein, which is widely present in cow’s milk, is promoting inflammation and poor digestion. This is the main reason we keep asking Ketonians to switch to goat, sheep and buffalo dairy for optimal health!
Goat, sheep and buffalo milk contain A2 casein, which is not inflammatory and less likely to cause digestive problems than the A1 casein found in cow’s milk.
Why we never made fathead dough?
First of all, we don’t support the usage of the microwave oven, as you might know, Every microwave oven has a magnetron, a tube in which electrons operate on a magnetic and electric field to produce a microwave radius of approximately 2450 MHz or 2.45 GHz. This microwave radiation influences the molecules in the food. All wave energy changes the polarity from positive to negative, with each wave cycle. In microwaves, polarity changes occur million times every second.
Moderation is the queen
If you will use the cheese in your dough, and all the recipes call for a lot of it, you will exceed the healthy amount of cheese per serving! Furthermore, if you will also use the cheese for topping or filling, how much cheese will you use? Why waste the perfect cheese (if you used the perfect one) as a binding agent in your dough, when you can prepare just about any crust or dough with gelatine or psyllium.
How to read labels?
Here’s a great tip. Learn what natural cheese is made of. Any product that has more than that should not earn your money! If the producer has placed all their effort to create cheese by using the ancient method, they deserve your money! If the industry goes to the pharmaceutical department to borrow some ingredients so their cheese has a longer shelf life, they are cheating. Their product should not find a place in your clean and healthy Keto kitchen!
The healthy cheese should contain only:
Milk (preferably goat, buffalo or sheep’s milk)
TOP FIVE CHEESE RECOMMENDATION BY GREEK GOES KETO
- Goat or Sheep Feta (Healthiest kind on earth – read more here) Feta is extremely rich in calcium and vitamin D. The protein alpha-lactalbumin even has anti-cancerous properties!
- Aged goat or sheep cheese – made with a better kind of milk! These cheeses have zero lactose. At the same time, you get all the beneficial minerals and vitamins. This article explains it perfectly! Also, if you are located in the USA, we recommend contacting this farm because they are selling goat cheese online! There’s even a study that proves that aged cheese provides longevity!
- Buffalo mozzarella – the most quality Mozzarella in the world is made from buffalo milk. It’s a far more superior product to mozzarella made from cow’s milk! No additives, no stabilisers and no industrial fillers. Oldfashioned and healthy! Plus, it’s A2 casein 😉
- Fresh goat cheese – If you can find it, go for it! If there’s a farm nearby or a producer that doesn’t use anything but goat milk, salt and cheese culture – this is a remedy, not only food! You can also make it at home if you are a true Keto Mediterranean diet lover! Here’s a great tutorial.
- Mascarpone (original Mascarpone contains up to 70% butter, therefore it has more fat than lactose) The name “mascarpone” could have come from the Spanish “mas que bueno” (“better than good”), from the times when the Spaniards ruled Italy.