Keto snowflake cake represents our unique approach to no-bake goodies. As the days are getting colder and the first snowflakes start to fly we feel the need for winter festive recipes. Yes, we don’t recommend eating dairy-based dessert too often, but hey, we are in the holiday season. This Keto snowflake cake turned out so fluffy, snowy and tasty that it had to be published in a form of a KMD recipe. It had to happen sooner than we originally planned. When we published the photos on our Social media, the response was unique. Everyone wanted the recipe!!!
What makes this Keto snowflake cake Mediterranean is the usage of milk products that come from the north of Italy. When you think of snow you don’t necessarily think of the Mediterranean zone. But did you know, some of the most beautiful snowy mountains lay in this zone? From Italian Alps to Greek mythical mount Olympus and Parnassus.
The fluffy white cake that needs no baking will not go far from the healthy KMD creation. Even though it’s a dessert, it will still contain only the top nutrients and carefully chosen ingredients. After all, we are Greek Goes Keto and we take the process of ketonisation very seriously! 🙂
Why did we use buffalo mozzarella for Keto snowflake cake?
Fresh mozzarella di bufala is one of the most appreciated gems of Italian traditional cuisine. Buffalo milk has about twice the fat of cow’s milk and the taste is almost divine. Naturally, It’s the A2 casein milk which, as we know, is easier to digest! This delivers decadently creamy and flavoursome mozzarella.
Buffalo mozzarella could be on the throne of all fresh cheese! We cannot compare it to any fresh cheese or cream cheese. Just like steam or clouds, buffalo mozzarella has a consistency that is not liquid nor solid. Water buffalo have lived in the hills around Naples and also in some parts of Greece for thousands of years. The tradition of cheesemaking is brought to perfection in these areas!
The Noumenia protocol and holiday season
We wrote about our Noumenia protocol on so many occasions. Ancient Greeks tradition could be adjusted to the modern way of living. It means that you’ll pick a special day in a month and prepare a Keto dessert or bread with top quality ingredients. This way you will reduce the number of desserts and weight-loss obstacles. Naturally, this will give you more benefits of Keto Mediterranean Diet.
At the same time, you will be preparing something very special, something that will have exotic yet healthy ingredients. Those ingredients are worthy of a true foodie! And in the end, you will be celebrating your new life and new health each month! This Keto snowflake cake is ideal for the modern Noumenia protocol!
What can be used as a replacement of buffalo mozzarella?
Well, you can use any cream cheese, but don’t expect it to be super tasty as it would be with buffalo mozzarella. Keto snowflake cake is unique but nobody says that you can’t experiment. For example, a great substitute would be nice creamy goat cheese, manouri or perhaps some sour cream. It’s up to you and your Noumenia spirit. Or shall we say, the winter holiday spirit? Let’s just get to the recipe and see if you can come up with your idea!
Keto snowflake cake with buffalo mozzarellaCourse: Keto dessertCuisine: Keto MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
100g (3,5 oz) pine nuts (alternatively macadamia or blanched hazelnuts)
50g (1,7 oz) coconut crumbs
30g (1 oz) sesame seeds
6 drops liquid stevia or monk fruit extract* (see notes)
1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
1/3 tsp sea salt
1/2 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
30g (1 oz) melted butter* (see notes)
- Cake cream
200g (7 oz) buffalo mozzarella (see notes for alternatives)
500g (17 oz) mascarpone
3 tbsp grass fed beef gelatine
12 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
12 drops liquid monk fruit or stevia extract* (see notes)
2 tablespoons grated dark chocolate with 100% cacao content
- Place the nuts, seeds, coconut crumbs, Ceylon cinnamon and sea salt in a food processor. Pulse for a couple of seconds. Repeat 10 times or until everything is nicely ground and unified. Make sure you don’t overdo it.
- Melt the butter and add liquid stevia and freshly grated lemon zest. Mix with the dry ingredients to create a thick paste.
- Grease 25 cm (10′) pan with removable bottom with some coconut oil or butter. Now place the crust mixture and press with your fingers until you get all of the bottom covered. Place in the refrigerator.
- Mix gelatine with water and heat it until it dissolves totally. Whisk constantly to prevent the gelatine from burning. Add the sweetener, vanilla extract and salt to this mixture and remove from heat.
- Place buffalo mozzarella (or alternatives) in a blender, add mascarpone. Add the gelatine mixture and blend for 1 minute to unify.
- Pour this mixture on top of the crust. Sprinkle grated chocolate on top. Place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
- If you are using granulated blend sweetener, use 2 tablespoons in the crust and 4 tablespoons in the cream.
- You can use Greek Manouri or other types of fresh cheese. However, the taste of buffalo mozzarella is superior.